To measure static flexibility of the hamstring muscles
A sit and reach box (preferred) or a box and ruler
- The participant performs a thorough warmup and dynamic stretching
- Have participants remove their shoes and sit on the floor with head back and hips at 90 degree angle from the hip joint
- Have the participant extend one leg at a time while the sole of the other foot remains against the inside of the extended leg’s knee
- The participant places one hand on top of the other and reaches as far forward as possible along the measuring line
- Ensure that the hands remain at the same level, not one reaching further forward than the other.
- After some practice reaches, the subject reaches out and holds that position for at least one-two seconds while the distance is recorded. A negative score is when the participant doesn’t reach the box, a positive score is when they reach the box.