Deleted UserDeleted UserMarch 26, 2016 at 5:18 am
I’m a huge fan of inbox zero!
Our emails at school were out of control couple years ago so we were given a PD entitled ’email hell to heaven’. Worked a treat for me. Key points I took away from the PD and use every day:
– switch off notifications
– set aside time each day (schedule it in) to deal with emails (as opposed to checking them ‘whenever’ you get a spare minute).
– each email has three options: reply, delay, delete (you work this out pretty quick)
– only handle each email once (once you’ve finished with it file it or delete it)
– set up ‘rules’ to send non essential emails to separate folders (ie those interesting but not essential things you subscribe to)
– use ‘action’ words in brackets in your email subject headings. For example “Year 7 volleyball [reply needed]”. If your colleagues do this too dealing with emails becomes ALOT easier! Other examples of action words might be ‘FYI only’; ‘action needed’; ‘read only’; ‘answer needed today’