Flat non slip surface, stopwatch
- Remove the shoes and place the hands on the hips, then position the non-supporting foot against the inside knee of the supporting leg.
- The subject is given one minute to practice the balance
- The subject raises the heel to balance on the ball of the foot.
- The stopwatch is started as the heel is raised from the floor. The stopwatch is stopped if any of the following occurs:
- The supporting foot swivels or moves in any direction
- The hand(s) come off the hips
- The heel of the supporting foot touches the floor
- The non-supporting foot loses contact with the knee.